Thursday, September 26, 2013

Week 3 News Article Respone

I did not want to cover/respond to a news article regarding turmoil for this assignment.  Instead I hoped to look into a topic that I thought most classmates would overlook.
While the effects and benefits of sleep is a standard topic, I knew it would be left out, and I thought I could have fun with some odd portraits.

I strolled along them internets for some articles that would startle me a little.
Of course I always knew that "getting your eight hours" was highly suggested, however I usually am able to get much less.

Knowing this, I was in for a surprise when I came across a New York Times article that told me that,
"Failing to get enough sleep night after night can compromise your health and may even shorten your life."

Seeing this led me to choose this topic for my images, and want to investigate further.
I decided that for my photographs I wanted to depict people on campus who I interact with on a daily basis, sleeping with a serene expression, but in a very uncomfortable position.  I wanted to show how we all love sleep so much, but none of us (these students) never really get enough for the upcoming day.

I'm satisfied by a couple of them.  The image of a friend sleeping on the television, cramped between the wall is a highlight.  I will most likely go back to where the self portrait, of me sleeping on top of a shopping cart, was taken and re-do it.  For this one, I was dissatisfied by how my arm was supporting my head, rather than being flopped over the side of the cart.  I was also dissatisfied by the one of Jackson sleeping while doing his homework.  The framing I used failed to show that he was balancing on the top of his chair, and it just looks like he's in bed.  I did really enjoy how the laundry mat bench photograph turned out.  I am able to draw a better relatable experience with the help of the background of washers and dryers behind the sleeping subject.

Usually I don't use "The News" as canon for any work, since they tend to be personal, but this assignment has caused me to consider using this method more often.  At least to get some new approaches to what I'm already doing.

I'll be updating/editing this to add in my related contact sheet.

No comments:

Post a Comment