Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Week 2 Adams Why People Photograph


I agree that the idea of surrounding yourself with colleagues is of the utmost importance.  Over the summer I spent most of my time by myself, creating next to no images.  The moment I was with some friends who also use cameras I had more than I could handle.  I also believe that having colleagues who are better than you is important.  Once you can accept the idea that someone will always be better than you at something, having that higher knowledge around you is paramount.  The group critique is also a necessity, however some previous classes have skipped on this, and I felt that was a monumental waste of potential growth for everyone involved.  

I do not agree with the mentioned general idea that negatives are worthless but prints are everything, once a photographer dies.  Perhaps its because I'm a college student, but if I couldn’t make a living taking pictures, I would still do it, I would simply savor my rolls.

I usually implement the approach of not placing yourself or your model.  Unless I'm trying to create something really specific, I just carry a camera, and let life unfold.  I also have discovered that I too make use of the concept that life is suffering.

“Our subject thus redefines us, and is part of the biography by which we want to be known.”


With my recent works, especially the entire La Ceiba collection, I feel the works are beginning to create a new origin story about me.

No comments:

Post a Comment