Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Angela Strassheim

This week I began to investigate Angela Strassheim's work.  What quickly stood out to me were some of her portraits of females.


Mainly the first image is what quickly stood out to me.  Obviously this is a picture of a little girl, so not quite what I'm looking to show in photography, but the idea is there.  It shows elegance and innocence very well.  With the second I am a fan of the feeling of lifelessness that I get.  It feels that this girl has some wealth but she still has not found anything that gives her purpose.  I assume I enjoy this because it harps back to the whole birth mother being separated from her child idea.  
I also always enjoy and prefer photography that can imply nudity, without actually showing it.  I was a fan of Max's portrait of his friend in her bed.  His image was able to show innocence, fear, and the naked female form, without being blunt about body parts.  


Even though this image contradicts my love of minimalistic portraits, it does start to show the feeling of being lost within something.  The kids are oblivious to the camera, and the balloons are taking over their inhabited space.  I really wish it was one child and a lot more balloons.  I like that I begin to feel lost, but I don't yet feel alone or out of context of a fairly wealthy family's home.  I really appreciate images that can remove the subject from their original context.

No comments:

Post a Comment